1. Identify potential farmer groups
- United Nations: Role of Cooperatives in Agricultural Development and Security in Africa
- Agrium: Farm Cooperatives in Africa offer Access to Information
- International Fund for Agricultural Development: Agricultural Cooperatives: paving the way for food security and rural development.
- International Institute For Sustainable Development: Inclusive Investment in Agriculture – Cooperatives and the Role of Foreign investment
- University of Missouri: Factors Critical to the Success or Failure of Emerging Agricultural Cooperatives
2. Look for partners
- Starting an Agriculture Marketing Cooperative
- University of Kentucky: How to Start a Cooperative
- USDA: How to Start a Cooperative
- FAO: Agricultural Cooperative Development A Manual for Trainers
3. Research land & water issues
- FAO: Food Security and Agricultural Development in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Is Farm Irrigation Equipment Personal Property of Fixture?
4. Initial group meeting
- United States Department of Agriculture: Organizing and Conducting Cooperatives Annual Meetings
- UNL: Starting a Cooperative
5. Organizing the farmers
- Catholic Relief Services: Organizing and Managing Farmers’ Groups
- FAO: Establishing and Strengthening Farmer Organizations
- National Young Farmers Coalition: Organizing Handbook, How to Bring Local Farmers Together for Shared Success
- Sustainability Exchange: Seven Steps to Organizing a Smallholder Farmers’ Association
- CIAT: A New Generation of Cooperatives for Africa.
- International Labor Organizations: The way forward to advancing cooperatives in Africa
- Kent State University: Productivity in Cooperatives & Worker-Owned enterprises.
6. Business plan
- Federation Southern Cooperative: Cooperative Marketing Manual
- United States Department of Agriculture: Sample Legal Documents for Cooperatives
- Kcard: Growers Marketing Agreement for Sample Co-op
- A Greenhorns Guidebook: Cooperative Farming – Frameworks for Farming Together
- USAID: Evaluation of Agricultural Cooperatives in Ethiopia
- ProAgro: Lessons Learned from Six Years of Cooperative Agriculture Development in Angola
- Agrekon: Agricultural Cooperatives I: History, Theory, and Problems
- The National Agricultural Law Center: Farmer’s Legal Guide to Production Contracts
- FAO: Linking Small Farmers to Global Markets: Role of Contracting Farming and Cooperatives in Asian Countries.
7. Signing of contracts
8. Preparing site
9. Start production